If you have a treadmill in your house, you probably use it all the time. But did you know that you’re supposed to maintain it as well? If you’re not taking care of your treadmill, then it could break down, leaving you with an expensive piece of non-functional decor.
While there are several different ways to keep your treadmill in pristine shape, one of the most crucial is lubrication. The belt you walk (and run) on has to be lubricated regularly to ensure that it won’t become brittle and break on you.
Today we’re going to be looking at the top treadmill lubricants on the market, as well as show you the various elements to look for when making your final decision. Don’t wait until it’s too late! Get the right lubricant for your treadmill today.
What is the best lubricant for treadmills?
100% silicone is the only treadmill lubricant we can recommend. There are several manufacturers, but our favorite 2 are listed below:
Impresa Treadmill Oil
Best For Ease
5 Best Treadmill Lubricants
IMPRESA Treadmill Lubricant
Spot On Treadmill Lubricant
Lube-N-Walk Deluxe Treadmill Maintenance Kit & Lube
Horizon Fitness Treadmill Lubricant
IPO Multi-Purpose Treadmill Lube
How to Choose Lubricant for Treadmills
Depending on how often you use your machine, you may have to lubricate it several times per year. According to most manufacturers, the recommended lubrication schedule is about every three months or 40 hours. That being said, if you only use the treadmill a few times in those three months, you’re probably fine regardless.
Because of this routine, it’s best to get a lubricant that has a sufficient amount so that you don’t have to buy more that often. Usually, one treatment is about one ounce, so try to get a bottle that’s at least four ounces so that you can replace it annually (assuming you’re using your treadmill regularly).
In some cases, you may be able to find smaller or bigger bottles, but you don’t want to get too much more than you need. Lubricant does have a shelf life for how well it will work, so don’t assume a giant jug will last you for years to come.
Can You Use Any Lubricant On A Treadmill?
If you look at most treadmill manufacturers, they will recommend that you only use 100% silicone when lubricating your machine. The reason that silicone is preferred is that it lasts a long time and doesn’t break down. Not only that but unlike other ingredients (like oil), this substance will not affect the machine either.
Overall, buying the right lubricant for your treadmill will be the best option, rather than trying to figure out a solution using other ingredients. Assuming that you want to keep your machine in tip-top shape, you should follow our (and the manufacturer’s) recommendation.
Can I Use WD 40 Silicone On My Treadmill?
If you try putting oil or some kind of chemical (like WD-40) on your treadmill, you will cause premature wear and tear. Some people may recommend Teflon (a silicone-based synthetic), but you shouldn’t use it unless directed to by the manufacturer.
When picking out the best lubricant for your treadmill, you should pay attention to how it can be applied. We’ll get into the primary steps needed to lubricate your machine, but the basic premise is that you want something that is both easy and effective.
As we mentioned, you only need about one ounce of lubricant when working on your treadmill, so it’s crucial that you don’t overdo it when working. To ensure that doesn’t happen, you need an applicator that won’t create a mess.
The other thing to consider is whether you can lubricate the belt without pulling apart the machine. While loosening screws and bolts may be necessary, it can add wear and tear to the unit, which can make it more prone to breaking down on you.
Some applicators will come with a specialized attachment or hose to let you get under the belt without doing anything else, but this process can also be tricky because you can’t see what you’re doing or how well the lubricant is being distributed.
How To Lubricate Your Treadmill
Once you have found the right lubricant for your machine, it’s imperative that you follow the right steps to ensure a smooth and proper experience.
Where Do You Put The Lubricant On The Treadmill?
Read the Manual: before doing any kind of maintenance on your treadmill, you should go over the manual to see if there are any particular recommendations. Also, this will give you a chance to see what other maintenance you can do to keep it in prime working condition. If you don’t have the manual, you can look online based on the serial number of the machine.
Don’t Over Lubricate: some treadmills come pre-lubricated, which means that you could be causing damage if you add more before it’s time. This information should be available in the manual as well, adding another reason to check it first.
Lubricate Before Long-Term Storage: if you’re saying goodbye to your treadmill for a while (i.e., six months or more), then it’s a smart idea to lubricate it beforehand so that the belt won’t become brittle and crack while in storage.
When lubricating your treadmill, you will want to keep the unit plugged in so that you can spread the material around by running the belt.
If you have to loosen the bolts to get underneath the belt, it’s critical that you tighten everything back up afterward before turning the machine on. This will ensure that you don’t accidentally break anything.
We suggest using a flashlight to see under the belt and make sure that you’re getting all the way across. If the lubricant is only staying on one side, it could weaken the belt and cause it to fail nonetheless.
Keep a towel handy and place one underneath the treadmill just in case of spills. Having the proper applicator can minimize this problem, but it’s still a good idea. Also, having a towel will enable you to clean up any extra that comes out on the sides of the belt.
Finally, avoid getting any lubricant on top of the belt. Because it’s slick, it could create a hazard for you next time you use the treadmill. Wipe off any material that drips on the belt immediately so that it won’t seep in.
Recommended Lubricant for Treadmills
Spot On 100% Silicone Treadmill Belt Lubricant
Fortunately, this version from Spot On is 100% silicone, so you don’t have to worry. This material is non-toxic and odor-free, making it a safe way to lubricate your treadmill. Don’t worry about any off-putting smells while working on your machine, and don’t worry about pets licking up excess by accident.
Because the lubricant itself will be the same across all of these different models, the primary thing to pay attention to is the bottle and cap. In this case, we have a squeeze bottle that has a precision twist cap, allowing you to add just enough lubrication without going overboard.
If you want more control over this process, then you can buy a hose applicator from Spot On. While this will be a separate purchase, it could be worth the additional investment because of the convenience it provides.
What we like most about this lubricant is that it comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied when you use it, you can get a replacement in no time. Buy it with confidence.
- THE ORIGINAL APPLICATOR TUBE for easy full width belt lubrication. Each controllable squeeze bottle of treadmill lubricant comes with 2 dispensing options, both caps specifically chosen to match the silicone viscosity for ideal flow control. Each bottle is capped with a precision twist spout dispensing top for general purpose lubricating. Also included is our patented 8 inch extension tube cap, designed with a straight and stiff tube to reach under the belt for full width belt lubrication.
- UNIVERSAL 100% SILICONE TREADMILL BELT LUBRICANT formulated for a wide range of modern treadmills. Works great for home and heavy duty commercial treadmills, most elliptical equipment, and other exercise equipment. Non-toxic and odorless.
- ELIMINATE MESS. Full belt width lubrication with NO NEED TO LOOSEN THE BELT. The PATENTED CAP WITH TUBING easily slides between the belt and deck to deliver lubricant to the center of the belt, right where its needed. The tube size was selected to match the lubricant viscosity for ideal flow control.
- PROTECT YOUR EQUIPMENT FROM COSTLY REPAIRS by reducing friction between the belt and deck. Regular lubrication reduces noise, extends both belt and motor life, eliminates belt hesitation, and makes your workouts safer and more enjoyable. Each 4 oz bottle contains approximately 4 applications, enough to protect your treadmill for a full year.
- KEEPS YOU AND YOUR TREADMILL IN TIP-TOP SHAPE! Ideal for all treadmills requiring non-petroleum silicone based lubricant including Nautilus, Epic, Landice, LifeSpan, NordicTrack, Sole, ProForm, Life Fitness, Horizon, Weslo, True, Lifestyler, Sportcraft, Star Trac, Woodway, Schwinn, PaceMaster, Precor, Smooth, Spirit, Vision, Fuel, and more. 100% Money-Back Guarantee. MADE in the USA and SOLD by a US COMPANY.
Treadmill Belt Lubricant | by Lube-N-Walk
Because you want to be sure that you’re getting the most out of your treadmill, applying one ounce at a time is going to provide smoother movements and less friction while walking or running. Thus, buying a lubricant bottle should contain at least one year of silicone. Unless you’re using the treadmill more than usual, this bottle should last a long time.
Easy to use applicator gets under the belt without having to use any tools. If your treadmill motor is struggling, and your speed is inconsistent, buy this before you chuck it out. Definitely use as directed and use once a month.
Once again, this lubricant is made of 100% silicone. You can buy it with confidence knowing that it’s highly rated (commercial-grade) and that it comes with a money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with this lubricant, you’re covered no matter what, and no questions asked.
- Easy to use
- Removes dirt
- Reduces costly repairs
- Prolongs motor life
- Prolongs belt life
- 100% silicone substance
- Four-ounce squeeze bottle
- Applicator hose for convenience
- Built-in shutoff valve for more precision
- Commercial-grade materials
- Tube creates a uniform stream
- Non-toxic and odorless lubricant
- Made in the USA
- Money-back guarantee
- Using the applicator can be tricky for some people
- In rare cases, the bottle may leak slightly
IPO Multi-Purpose Lubricant
Because of this issue, we like this lubricant from IPO. Rather than providing you with yet another short and fat bottle, this one is elongated to give you more control while working. Although we would prefer for this unit to come with an applicator hose, the precision nozzle coupled with the slimmer profile does make it easier to handle overall.
Otherwise, this lubricant is about the same as the others. It’s made of 100% silicone for a smoother result while walking or running, and you get four ounces of the stuff, which should last up to a year or so. Because it’s silicone, you don’t have to worry about extra chemicals in this lubricant, such as propellants or distillates. It’s the real deal.
Finally, this unit does come with a satisfaction guarantee, meaning that you don’t have to worry about buyer’s remorse.
- 100% SILICONE LUBRICANT. 100% silicone lubricant is completely pure and toxin free. Stay away with the cheap lubes, our lubricant is stable even on high temperature which protect your treadmill and your health. Environment friendly and 100% Safe.
- ELIMINATE MESS The lubricant can easily slide between the belt and deck to deliver lubricant to the center of the belt, right where its needed. There is NO NEED TO LOOSEN THE BELT.
- FULLY COMPATIBLE 100% silicone lubricant keeps your machine running smooth and quiet. Choosing a proper treadmill lubrication prolong your treadmill life and improve the treadmill performance. It is suitable for most brands or models of treadmill, wheels, bicycles, hinges, fans and other moving parts.
- LIFE HACKER TRICK For its PERFECTLY CLEAR colorless and wont stain fabric, IPO Silicone Lubricant can also be used for acrylic pour painting! Will not change or alter the color of your paint.
- SATISFIED GUARANTEE Our silicone treadmill lube with best quality and 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE. If youre not satisfied with it, let us know and well provide you with a full refund.
- Four-ounce squeeze bottle
- Bottle is narrower for easier handling
- 100% silicone material
- No odor, distillates, or propellants
- Twist nozzle for precision application
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Nozzle may leak in some cases
- No applicator hose provided
Impresa Products 100% Silicone Treadmill Lubricant
The bottle is squeezable, and you get a precision tip so that you can make the most of your one-ounce application. The nozzle is also compatible with applicator hoses, so feel free to make your life easier as well.
The lubricant itself is made of 100% silicone, meaning that it will last a long time when applied properly. It may seem a little runnier than other types we’ve seen, but that can also make it easier to get the job done.
As with other treadmill lubricants, this one comes with a money-back guarantee. Buy it with confidence, knowing that you can replace it quickly and easily.
- 100% SILICONE, IDEAL FOR A WIDE RANGE OF TREADMILLS: 100% silicone treadmill belt lubricant, custom formulated for an array of treadmills (home / personal, commercial / gym, compact, folding, etc.). Just the treadmill lube / treadmill oil you need!
- EASY TO APPLY: 4oz EZ-Squeeze bottle with precision twist top simplifies the application process for your belt / deck; whether you call it lube, grease, oil, liquid, spray or gel, this NO ODOR product is the easiest treadmill lubricant to apply
- KEEPS YOUR MACHINE RUNNING SMOOTH & QUIET: Proper treadmill lubrication with our silicone lubricant reduces noise, eliminates belt hesitation & significantly extends the lifespan of your motor, reducing the need for maintenance/repairs
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA: Our silicone treadmill lube is made sustainably in the USA, with a portion of all profits donated to charity and a 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE; if youre not satisfied, let us know and well provide you with a full refund
- WORKS WITH NEARLY ALL BRANDS: For NordicTrack, Sole, ProForm, Horizon, Weslo, True, Life Fitness, Nautilus, Epic, Landice, LifeSpan, New Balance, PaceMaster, Precor, Smooth, Spirit, Vision, Fuel, Lifestyler, Sportcraft, Star Trac, Woodway, Schwinn, and more. Also great for many brands of ellipticals
- Four-ounce squeeze bottle
- 100% silicone lubricant
- Precision twist nozzle for convenience
- Squeezable bottle for control
- No odors or harsh chemicals included
- Works on almost all treadmill makes and models
- Compatible with applicator tubes
- Drip-resistant design
- Made in the USA
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Nozzle may leak on occasion
- May dry faster than other lubricants
Horizon Fitness Silicone Treadmill Belt Lubricant
So far, we’ve seen lubricants that come in a (relatively) large bottle, meaning that you can use the same unit for multiple applications. However, the primary issue with this is that it’s challenging to figure out how much to use each time. While one ounce is recommended, how can you be sure that you’re squirting a whole ounce? What if you accidentally put more?
To alleviate this issue, we have a set of three applicator bottles designed for single use. While you don’t get a full year’s supply, they do come with measurement readings on the side so that you can be sure you’re applying the right amount.
The other issue we’ve seen with these lubricants is the fact that they can leak. In this case, the tips are fully sealed (you have to cut them beforehand), ensuring that you don’t lose any silicone before you get a chance to use it.
Overall, while these smaller bottles can be a little harder to handle, they are worth the added precision and control.
- Extends the life of the treadmill motor
- Helps reduce treadmill noise
- Reduces wear and tear
- Easy to use
- Comes in package of 3 bottles for 3 applications
- Three applicator bottles
- Measurements on the side for precision
- 100% silicone lubricant
- Precision nozzles for convenience
- Squeezable tube
- Leak-resistant design
- Tips have to be cut before using
- Can be hard to apply due to the smaller size
Because all of these lubricants are made of 100% silicone, it’s difficult to say whether one brand is necessarily better than the other. However, we can safely decide that the Impresa is our top pick, all thanks to the squeezable bottle it comes in.
We like that you can apply your lubrication without having to loosen the bolts and cause wear and tear on your machine. Impresa makes this process much simpler and ensures that treadmill maintenance is as quick and painless as possible.
Impresa Treadmill Oil
Best For Ease