If you’re looking for a reliable and enjoyable way to get in shape, then a treadmill can be just the solution for you. Rather than paying an expensive gym membership you’ll never use, you can instead bring the gym to you by buying a treadmill for your home.
At first, you may think that getting one of these machines would be both expensive and problematic. Aren’t they massive? Fortunately, that’s not a problem. Today we’re going to be looking at the five best treadmills under $600.
Not only are these devices affordable, but they are also designed for home use, meaning that they won’t take up as much room (or electricity) as you might think. These treadmills can help you get into shape without taking over your living space.
So, with that in mind, let’s see what they have to offer.
NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill
Best Treadmill Under $600
Here’s a list of all the treadmills under $600 you should consider.
NordicTrack T Series Treadmill
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill
Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill
MaxKare Folding Treadmill
SereneLife Smart Electric Folding Treadmill
Horizon Fitness T202 Advanced Treadmill
Sunny Health & Fitness ASUNA Treadmill
How to Choose a Treadmill
Before we start looking at the top models, it’s best if we take a moment to go over the various elements you can find in a personal treadmill. Because the goal is to use this machine on a regular basis, you want to be sure that it will fit your needs.
Here are the most crucial aspects of having a treadmill in your home.
Because we already know that the models we’ll be seeing are within your budget, the next step is figuring out if the size is sufficient for you. When looking at the dimensions of a treadmill, there are several elements to pay attention to the most.
Are you going to be running on your machine or walking? Even if you aren’t in good enough shape to run right now, are you planning on building up to that point? If so, you want a treadmill that has a belt that’s at least 55 inches long. If you are taller than six feet, we recommend at least 60 inches to be safe. If you’re more inclined to walk, then you’ll need at least 40 inches or more.
Getting a treadmill that is too narrow can be a huge pain, especially when running. For that reason, you want to get a model that’s at least 20 inches wide. If you are currently carrying some extra weight, then you may want to get a unit that’s a little wider so that you don’t feel like you’re being caged in. Also, runners will want a belt that’s at least 22 inches wide to ensure that they can avoid banging into the side handles while moving.
If you are planning on getting a treadmill that offers an incline feature, then the height will be crucial to your decision. This factor will be even more vital to understand if you are already tall. Most treadmills add about six to eight inches without an incline, so keep that in mind when figuring you where you will place it.
The other thing to remember is that you should allow for at least a foot or two of clearance above your head when at the full incline for safety reasons. Thus, if the ceiling is shorter or there are any obstacles (i.e., fans or light fixtures), try to avoid them as much as possible.
Another critical factor in deciding the right size for your treadmill is how it will fit into your space. Ideally, you will have about three feet of clearance on either side, with another eight feet behind. This extra room is designed for safety, so try to get as close to it as possible.
That being said, we understand that you may be limited in your options. However, you should still strive to keep at least some clearance on all sides of your treadmill (i.e., avoid putting it against the wall) if possible.
If you’re like most people, one thing that keeps you motivated throughout your exercise experience is tracking your vitals. Being able to count things like calories burned and your heart rate can help ensure that you stick with your workout.
That being said, here are some common elements you may want your treadmill’s control panel to include.
Heart Rate Monitor: if you really want to lose weight, you have to keep your heart rate elevated
Calorie Counter: see how many calories you’re burning while walking or running. Just be sure that it’s based on weight and age for accuracy
Program Presets: if you want to challenge yourself, you can get a treadmill with various workout options built-in
Entertainment Add-Ons: some high-tech models will allow you to play music or watch videos through the machine itself.
Vital Tracking: one option is to sync your treadmill to an online health tracker so that you can monitor your progress over time.
Storage: do you want to read while walking? You’ll need a shelf. What about a water bottle holder? A place for your smartphone? Pay attention to the storage options that come with your treadmill.
Folding vs. Static
The size of your machine is going to be a critical deciding factor, but you may not be able to dedicate a permanent space for your treadmill. If that’s the case, then you should invest in a folding model.
Folding treadmills make it easier to keep it out of the way when you’re not using it, but not all units are the same. Some of them can fold almost flat so that they can stick in a closet. Others, however, may still take up a lot of room when folded, so keep that in mind.
Another thing to consider is if the treadmill has power assist. This feature allows you to fold it regardless of your physical strength.
Overall, folding treadmills perform the same as static, but you may not be able to find ones with a substantial motor. So, if you’re looking for a high-performance treadmill, you may have to stick with a static model instead.
Because treadmills are motorized, you want to get a unit that can handle the amount of use and abuse it’s going to get. For example, if you plan on running for an hour each day, then you need a more robust motor than if you were going to walk for just four days out of the week.
Treadmills motors are listed by horsepower, so it’s better to find one with more horses if you plan on using it more frequently. Also, more HP means the faster it can go, which is critical if you are going to be running a lot.
One element you should also pay attention to when picking out a motor is the weight limit for the treadmill itself. Most models can carry between 250-400 pounds, but it’s essential that you find one that is rated for at least 50 pounds more than your current weight. Why? Because you won’t strain the motor as much that way.
Finally, see what the top speed of your treadmill is. Most models under $600 are going to offer less MPH than more expensive units, so if you’re really trying to push yourself, you may have to consider paying more for the extra power.
Recommended Treadmills Under $600
NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models)
NUMBER 1 FAVORITE!
The NordicTrack T 6.5s and 6.5Si treadmill’s are the perfect machine to help you achieve your fitness goals with its 16,000+ on demand workouts and the ability to track your stats in real time. The advanced FlexSelect Cushion Belt gives you a workout that is tailored to your personal needs and can be adjusted depending on how fast or slow you want it. The Smart Response Drive System gives you incredible speed control and a smooth running experience every time you run.
Because we’re looking at the best treadmills under $600, most of these are going to be as efficient as they are economical. But in this case, we have the NordicTrack T-Series Treadmill.
This is one of the best brands on the market that you typically see in commercial gyms. We commend NordicTrack for bringing to the market a treadmill for the average home user that is in the affordable under $600 range!
If this fits your budget, look no further and buy it. Seriously, this is hands down, your best buy in this price range.
Check out this video that talks about their features you won’t find anywhere else in this price range:
- Interactive Personal Training at Home powered by iFit; gain access to on-demand, interactive trainer-led global and studio workout programs; membership required, sold separately
- 10% OneTouch incline control, 10 MPH SMART OneTouch speed control; spacious 20” x 55” tread belt
- Bluetooth connection allows iFit to automatically adjust your treadmill’s speed and incline to match trainer recommendations and mimic real-life terrain; integrated tablet holder secures your tablet or smartphone
- Enjoy a quiet workout with a powerful 2.6 CHP* DurX Smart Response Motor perfect for running, jogging, and walking in the comfort of your home
- Innovative SpaceSaver design with EasyLift Assist means your treadmill can fold up after your run for compact, simple storage. iPod Compatible Sound System
- Weight capacity of 350 pounds
- iFit is free the first year
- Several people have had a T Series last over 10 years
- Can’t enter your weight for customized settings
- iFit needs to be paid monthly or annually to continue using it
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill Black
The XTERRA Fitness TR150 is the perfect machine for anyone looking to start a fitness routine at home. The seamless design and 5″ LCD console provide a clean, professional look that will help you get in shape and monitor your workout stats. The machine features a powerful 2.25 HP motor with an adjustable incline so you can pace yourself through any cardio workout.
- Large 16 X 50 Walking/running surface
- Large 5 inch LCD display is easy to read and keeps you updated on speed, incline, time, distance, calories, and pulse
- Speed range 0. 5 -10 MPH allows for users of all fitness levels.Pull the knob to release the deck to fold or unfold
- 12 preset programs offer unmatched variety for your workouts
- 3 Manual incline settings allow for maximum variety. Side rails: plastic. Belt: 1 ply, 1. 4mm
- Prop 65: this product can expose you to chemicals including toluene and acrylamide which are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Great for walking and jogging
- Very quiet and can hear TV when using it
- There is a ledge that can hold a cell phone or tablet like an iPad
- It’s heavy. For a treadmill, that’s a plus.
- Challenging to do fast running on it due to limited stride
- Weight limit of only 250 lbs
- Does not have soft-drop feature
Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Treadmill with Device Holder, Shock Absorption and Incline
Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Treadmill, a compact, lightweight and foldable treadmill for home use. With 9 built-in workout programs (including advanced interval training) and its digital monitor with device holder, the Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Treadmill provides you with a convenient way to exercise anytime.
- 20 peak HP drive system provides speeds of 0. 5 – 9 MPH along with 3 manual options for adjusting incline levels (0%, 2%, 4. 37%)
- Designed for a max user weight of 220 lbs. with 49L x 15. 5W inches of running surface
- Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free
- Handrail controls allow you to control speed, start and stop. Pause function – Press the stop button once to stop the belt and pause your run while keeping your current data and running stats intact
- 9 Built-in workout programs with large LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and pulse. Convenient smart phone/tablet holder is included to fit different devices
- included components: Treadmill, User Manual, Hardware
- It support “zero incline”
- Max speed of 9 mph
- Great compact size
- Setup is very easy
- 3 incline positions but none of them are very steep
MaxKare Folding Treadmill Electric Motorized Running Machine 17” Wide Tread Belt w/Incline LCD Display and Cup Holder
The MaxKare Folding Treadmill is quiet, ergonomically designed, and strong. It supplements cardio exercise with the added benefit of running and strength training. With a 17-inch wide tread belt running at a maximum speed of 12 mph the MaxKare Folding Treadmill provides more space for you to move your feet without wearing out as quickly.
- MaxKare treadmill equipped with large LCD display and 15 Pre-set programs, easy One-touch operation helps you enjoy the joy of running at home. You can monitor real-time data for each exercise, including speed, time, calories, distance and heart rate.
- MaxKare running machine is equipped with a powerful and pure copper motor which can not only bring you a silent running experience but also adjust the running speed from 0.5 to 8.5MPH
- 17 inch wide Multi-layer tread belt and world first whole machine anti-shock system can withstand a maximum weight of 220 pounds. Which bring a better running experience and at the same time protect your knees to the maximum to prevent injury during exercise.
- Foldable design not only helps you easily assembly the treadmill, but also helps you to Store/Move the treadmill in small space.
- We provide 24/7 friendly customer service, if you have any problem with our product, please fell free to contact with us through Amazon.
- Very easy to fold and unfold on a daily basis
- Wide treadmill belt makes it easier for beginners and runners
- Soft drop is great and no worries of breaking anything
- Lacking connections to phone or tablet
SereneLife Smart Digital Folding Treadmill – Electric Foldable Exercise Fitness Machine
The SereneLife Smart Folding Treadmill is the perfect combination of fitness and space-saving design! The large 15.75″ x 43.30″ walking/running surface provides plenty of room for all your workouts without sacrificing on the space you need to store it all. Plus, with the FitShow app, you can customize the treadmill to fit your fitness needs with 16 preset training modes or set a custom workout schedule and save your settings for later use! With its smart features like bluetooth connectivity, you’ll never need to worry about not having music on hand while working out again.
- SPORTS APP CONNECTION: Links to FitShow sports app to make boring exercise routines to exciting fitness sessions. The app is available for iOS & Android & works with various devices such as phones, laptops & tablets via Bluetooth connectivity
- SPACE SAVER DESIGN: This treadmill is portable & foldable for easy setup & storage. It comes with simple electric plug-in design, motorized treadmill power of 1.5HP, built-in grip sensors for pulse monitoring & adjustable speed up to 7.5mph
- LARGE RUNNING SURFACE: 15.75 x 43.30 walking/running surface, Start/Stop and speed control on the handles for easy control, And a 5 digital LCD display screen with touch button controls that displays run time, distance, speed, calories burned.
- 16 PRESET TRAINING MODES: Creating a customized fitness session is easy as this digital exercise equipment comes with selectable preset training modes. It also features adjustable speed settings to increase the intensity of your workout
- 3 MANUAL INCLINE SETTING: The SereneLife running machine is equipped with 3 manual incline and built in speakers making it the best option for your home, gym, etc. Compact size makes it apt for small apartments
- Very easy to assemble
- Light weight
- Perfect for small spaces
- Ideal for walking and light jogging
- No ledge to support a phone or tablet
Horizon Fitness T202 Advanced Treadmill
If you’re looking for a reliable, flexible and affordable treadmill, look no further than the Horizon Fitness T202. This treadmill has been engineered specifically for your needs and is perfect if you are new to exercise or need something with a lot of flexibility. The T202 features a 3-Zone variable response cushioning system that provides smooth and consistent movement across the entire belt to help increase your workout efficiency while helping to prevent injuries during intense workouts. Other features like the fan, water bottle holder, Bluetooth enabled tablet rack, quick program keys and 10 incline keys make your workout even more convenient!
- Bluetooth connects to your device to stream media through integrated speakers
- Includes free app to control your workout and push data to favorite fitness apps, plus device holder and rapid-charge USB port
- Quickly shift speed and incline with one-touch keys
- Powerful, 2.75 CHP motor
- 60” 3-Zone cushioned deck for comfortable footfalls
- Effortlessly store between workouts with one-step hydraulic folding
- Lifetime frame and motor warranty
- Super easy to assemble compared to others in this price point
- Very quiet treadmill thanks to the motor running at lower rpm’s when compared to similarly priced treadmills
- Tread length and width are large enough for taller people that have longer strides
- Feels like a great value
- The drink holder is quite shallow. If you end up with heavy running, the up-and-down motion of the treadmill may tip them over
- Bluetooth speaker not very loud
- Fan is OK for walking, but not enough air movement if you jog or run
ASUNA Space Saving Treadmill, Flat Folding with Speakers for AUX Audio Connection
The Sunny ASUNA Treadmill is the ideal machine for the home or home office. The LCD display panel, with its bright and clear digital readout of speed, incline and pulse, makes it easy to monitor your workout. Your heart rate can be monitored at the touch of a button. The ASUNA Treadmill has a transport wheel that allows it to move easily as you use it. It’s also very quiet with its sealed construction and cushioned system which minimizes noise when in operation. A built-in media port allows you to connect your iPod or MP3 player so you can listen to your favorite tunes while working out!
- Monitor: time, distance, calories, steps
- 4 Window display
- Device holder
- Built-in speakers
- 220 lb weight capacity
- Emergency stop clip
- 0.6 – 8.0 MPH
- 2.5 Peak HP
- Fixed incline
- Shock absorption running deck
- 49L x 17.75W in running deck
- Slim fold design
- Transportation wheels
- Warranty: 5 year structural frame 180 days other parts and components
- Product weight: 95 lb
- Product dimensions: 59L x 30.5W x 40H in
- Folded dimensions: 64L x 30.5W x 4.5H in
- Only 4.5″ thick when folded
- Very easy to setup
- Folds flat and fits under most beds, but it is too heavy to do that everyday
- More suited for walking and jogging than running
Overall, in trying to find the best treadmill under $600, we are looking for the one that provides the most options and best performance. In that case, we have to say that the NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models) meets and exceeds our expectations.
It has the most technology packed into it than any other brand. One of the biggest problems with a home treadmill is actually using it! Keeping it interactive with iFit is a small cost to pay every month but it will make you get an ROI out of the purchase of the treadmill.
No matter your fitness level, you can get everything you need from the NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models), which is why it’s our top pick.
NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill
XTERRA Fitness TR150 Treadmill