The treadmill has come a long way since its creation. It went from an experimental and untested medical solution for torn and strained ligaments to the world’s favorite form of exercise. The most important advantage of treadmill is the ability to exercise indoors, without caring about extreme weather conditions. A change and innovation this big allowed many people to lead more healthy lives, without the excuse of cold weather or extreme heat.
At its inception, the treadmill was heavy and nearly impossible to move, but it certainly made its strides in order to become the mobile, slick piece of technology that can be moved anywhere and in every way possible.
Table of Contents
What makes a treadmill heavy or lightweight?
Nowadays, you can’t really claim that treadmills are light or heavy because different models by different manufacturers come out every single day and it’s impossible to generalize that much. It’s also difficult to standardize a weight because, as technology advances, more and more types become available for different purposes. Military testing, space training, and heavy duty sprint preparation all require different types, which yield different constructions.
Now, a part that makes treadmills differ in weight from each other is, of course, the motor. Most treadmills employ a basic one that is measured in horsepower. Horsepower is very important in reaching the right speed, but again – it only indicates that the treadmill can reach, not necessarily sustain that speed. Motors that can sustain those high speeds are constructed of industrial grade steel or titanium and can weigh up to 40 to 50 pounds, in order to sustain the wear and tear.
The next reason for a treadmill’s weight is the belt, considered by many the most important part after the motor. For military training and preparation for missions’ steep terrain, the heaviest treadmills are used. This weight is mostly because of the reinforced belt that is used to simulate the hard terrain on which the soldiers are going to operate on. If the treadmill has the incline option, then it’s going to require some extra parts around the flywheel and the rollers, which can also yield about 30 pounds of weight, give or take.
When it comes to the majority of weight that the treadmills have, it usually belongs to the frame. Tread climbers military grade treadmills are notorious for their heavy and very durable frames. A frame’s weight directly defines its strength. If you are just casually walking on the track after work or blowing some steam off in the gym, a little shake wouldn’t make much of a difference. The story is a little different if you’re an Olympic runner or sprinter, not to mention a member of an anti-terrorist unit or a Navy Seal. Those heavy-duty treadmills must have ultimate stability in order to sustain the strain and provide the trainees with the ultimate workout that can simulate the condition they will be exposed to.
An alloy of steel is generally used, but the higher-grade, custom ones have frames reinforced with other metal and materials that bring the shaking down to the very minimum.
All in all, a treadmill’s weight doesn’t necessarily determine the quality of exercise, it’s the other way around. After a research and query about your needs and training plans, you will easily get the answer and the weight range of your potential treadmill.
How much do the best treadmills on the market weigh anyway?
Now that you know about the common parts of the treadmill, which adds to its weight, let’s have a look at the weight of the best treadmills in the market.
1. ProForm ZT6 Treadmill
This bad boy is perhaps the most versatile treadmill of today and it’s really not hard to see why. That 300-pound frame carries a lot of extra gadgets and aids which make that afternoon run feel like a race for the gold medal at the Olympic Games.
- WEIGHT: 203 lbs
- Go to ifit.com/activate to redeem your 1 month iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- 2.5 CHP Mach Z commercial motor, 0 10 percentage quick incline control, large LCD window, 18 workout Apps
- 0 to 10 MPH Quick Speed control, 20 x 55 inches tread belt, proshox cushioning
- Ekg heart RATE monitor, Compatible music port for Ipod, Space Saver design
- 325 pound Weight capacity and 1.9 inch balanced rollers
- Train in confidence with a treadmill protected by a Lifetime frame Warranty, 25 year motor Warranty, and 1 Year parts and Labor Warranty
- This device comes with a 30 day, free membership to iFit Coach; Enjoy thousands of on demand workouts in a virtual studio or around the world; Expert trainers will personalize your settings for each workout; Connect via smartphone to your equipment
Additional cushioning along with some added steel and titanium make the frame much heavier than the usual, regular treadmill. The extra weight is the price to pay for versatility. It’s built to withstand sprints, hours of non-stop running and some insane incline action. Given the fact that it’s generally not meant to be moved frequently, the weight isn’t much of a problem.
2. 3G Cardio Elite Runner Treadmill
A 4.0 horsepower motor and an abnormally large running platform are the reasons for the 386 pounds that a runner has under his feet when trying to conquer this monster of a treadmill. Part of that weight is due to the extra parts and coolers that make this treadmill almost completely silent.
- WEIGHT: 386 LBS
- Start with an upgraded, commercial Ortho Flex Shock suspension system and an oversized 22 x 62 running platform, a club rated 4.0 HP motor and 386lbs of muscle under your feet and experience the amazing feel of a 3G Cardio Treadmill in the privacy of your own home.
- The 3G Cardio Elite Runner Treadmill gives you the peace of mind that not only will you have a spectacular treadmill for the long run but an unrivaled 10 year parts warranty and 2 years in home labor. The last thing you should have to worry about is your treadmills performance, now you can focus on your performance.
- Simple and effective is the 3G Cardio motto. You will have all the necessary built in programs you need and nothing you dont! With several pre-programmed courses, fitness tests, one touch speed and elevation settings, heart rate control and the ability to custom create your own workouts, you will never become bored or overwhelmed when it comes to your programming options.
- Enjoy your music through the built in speakers and cool down with our multi speed fan! Want more? Try connecting your tablet and enjoying surround sound while watching your favorite movie or TV show. The 3G Cardio Elite Runner Treadmill can help to create your own private sanctuary.
- Whether you are a casual walker or an avid runner, the 3G Cardio Elite Runner treadmill has you covered! A club rated treadmill with a 10 year parts warranty in your home, what more could you ask for?
Another reason for the incredible quality of this running device is the strengthened frame, which allows one of the biggest incline rates on the market. You can literally simulate climbing a mountain and all those belt and frame improvements surely make the extra weight impressive and reasonable, all in all.
3. 3G Cardio 80i Fold Flat Treadmill
3G Cardio opted for a slicker designed and therefore we have a very compact and stylish model that weighs at just 257 pounds. The reason for this is that it’s not an Olympic or industrial grade treadmill – the accent is on a lightweight frame.
- WEIGHT: 200 LBS
- It is the only Fold Flat InclineTreadmill on the market built exclusively for runners. With an incline of 0 to 15%, custom training is possible. Built in Speakers and Audio iPhone/MP3 connections.
- It can fold flat to a height of just 9. 75 inches and easily be rolled under the bed for storage.
- It folds vertically with another set of wheels, allowing easy storing. Or you can store where no treadmill has been before…under the bed! In addition to the convenience, the 3G Cardio 80i Fold Flat Incline Treadmill is top-quality design.
- Fold Flat Dimensions: 74x33x9. 75
- Fold Up Dimensions: 39L x 33W x 70H
- material type: Steel
You can also fold it flat for maximum space saving. An interesting thing is that you can also fold it vertically and use wheels to move it. This can be considered a sacrifice on the weight part for gaining stability, while having an outstanding model of treadmill.
4. NordicTrack C 990 Treadmill
Aside from the high-grade 3.0 hp motor, housed in a strengthened base with multiple coolers, the rest of this treadmill is pretty regular in comparison to other more lauded models. It still comes at an excellent price while providing the workouts of your life. And those 320 pounds of weight aren’t a joke either.
- WEIGHT: 215 LBS
- Interactive Personal Training at Home powered by iFit; gain access to on demand, interactive trainer led global and studio workout programs; membership required, sold separately
- Immersive 7” HD Touchscreen Display, AutoBreeze workout fan, and FlexSelect cushioning for a comfortable run
- 12% Automatic Incline Matching technology, 12 MPH SMART speed adjustment; spacious 20” x 60” tread belt. Reduced Vibration
- Enjoy reduced motor noise and self cooling technology with a powerful 3.0 CHP* Motor perfect for running, jogging, and walking in the comfort of your home
- Innovative SpaceSaver design with EasyLift Assist means your treadmill can fold up after your run for compact, simple storage
NordicTrack made a great move by strengthening only the necessary parts and putting an emphasis on performance.
5. Fitness club 500W Folding Electric Motorized Treadmill Portable Running Gym Fitness Machine Black
The deck has been additionally cushioned, all to go with a powerful 2.9 hp engine that leaves little to be desired. You won’t encounter an eye-popping weight, as it is only 286 pounds. This is due to a special titanium frame and the elegance is sure visible.
- WEIGHT: 264 LBS
- 14.17(W) runway for home for running or walking, With 12 automatic programs embedded display to track your progress.
- A 3.5-inch display : Speed, Time, Calories, Distance, Heart Rate. Whit IPAD/mobile Holder ,Hand grip pulse sensor ,treadmill safety key.
- 3 levels incline adjustable to fit your need (manual), Low noise motor and emergency stop for your safety.
- Pleasant design including safe and convenient handlebar controls helping you control your speed and incline without ever removing your hands from the handlebars, or you can run or walk without fear of losing concentration or balance while adjusting pace.
- Excellent deck provides good cushioning for ankle, back and knee joints which helping your muscles recover faster from workout.
Even though it’s light by some standards, it’s incredibly durable, providing runners with an excellent mix of efficiency and performance.
So, now that you know about the weight of the treadmills, it’s time to get your own treadmill and reduce your weight. A wise choice would be to buy a movable one, so that you can use it wherever you want.
Be sure to check out our article on the best treadmills under $600.